The name in Swedish is Södra Kyrketorp. The parish has been a long time an annex to Stenstorp parish.
The name Öja is very old, it was written 1389 as ij Grotilsöghiom, 1462 as j Gratolffs öia. In the middle of 16th century the name was only öja.
The name comes from the church, what the name was before isn’t known. The church isn’t longer. It was put down in the 19th century.